interior design mood board is a must have tool for interior designers, so they can easily display the look and feel of their clients’ homes.
In this article, you will learn how to create your own mood board and see some examples of what others have done.
Table of Contents
What is an interior design mood board?
In the design world, a mood board is a collage of images that represent the style and feel of an interior space. Mood boards are used as a way to visually communicate ideas and concepts without having to use words.
A mood board is a process of design, where the designer collects pictures of furniture, styles, art, fabrics and other objects to be included in the design. The idea is that by looking at everything together, you’ll get a better idea of what type of mood or style you’re going for.
Interior design mood board benefits
The benefits of an interior design mood board, in summary, are making the creative process less stressful and also providing designers with ideas for their creative process.
The creative process can be difficult when there is no specific direction for what you want to create.
For this reason, a mood board can help provide that direction in its creative process by giving the designer a visual representation of the different items that they could use to create their project. The list of benefits also include:
- Offer designers a fun way to express their creativity.
- Keep the ideas together for future reference.
- Help designers to explore unlimited layouts and styles.
- keep the revision cycles to the minimum.
- Help to determine all project requirements and plan for it in advance.
How to create a mood board like an interior designer?
A mood board usually consists of material samples and images that are pinned or glued onto a large piece of paper. They can be compiled from magazines, Pinterest, photographs, sketches, and many other sources.
They give the designer the ability to make decisions about which concepts work well together and which don’t.
For this reason, and whether you’re conceptualizing a living room, bedroom, or your dream kitchen. The following are some elements you may want to include:
- The main concept and ideas.
- Inspirational images that convey a vibe
- The color palettes and paint swatches, which can help you identify colors that work well together.
- Samples of the materials, fabrics of upholstery, and lighting to be shown to the client.
- Flooring: Rugs, carpets, tiles or other floor treatments.
- Furniture: Include what you own and want to use and what you’d like to add to your collection.
- Artwork: Paintings, prints, sculpture, ornamental vases, wall hangings, and posters.
- Window treatments: Curtains, blinds, drapes, shutters, however you choose to frame your windows has an affect on room design.
Additionally, use Pinterest, which is stuffed with visually compelling interior design ideas.
How much do interior designers charge for a mood board?
The average price for the creation of a mood board varies. They are typically created during the design process to help customers visualize what their space will look like. The price can range depending on:
- How complicated the project is?
- How many mood boards are needed?
- The size/type of the boards.
- What is included in the board?
- Designer’s experience with the client.
- If there are any custom items that need to be made?
- How long it will take for the project to be completed?
Additionally, mood boards are a great way to get an idea of what you are looking for in your home, and they can also help you determine how much to save.
interior design mood board conclusion:
In conclusion, interior design mood boards are an integral part of the design process. A mood board will act as a visual aid for many people, including interior designers, contractors, and the project owner.
Hence, if you plan on building or renovating your home in the future, be sure to include an interior design mood board!